Wednesday, July 23, 2014

A list

So hubby left for India one week ago.

Baby is 4 months old.

I understand it was difficult for hubby, as he wished to spend more time with his Indian family, his mother is getting old, but at the same time he wanted to saty with the baby as long as possible. I couldn't go before August as I have children from a previous relationship and need to take care of various family issues.

Before he left, he wrote a very long list in Tamil, saying I need to ask these questions to his relatives and friends when I arrived in India. I know I should make efforts to learn Tamil. I used to be very good at languages, but Tamil is not sticking to my mind. Alarmed, I reminded him lots of people told me about him when we started going out together. I remember these Indian guys so excited about our story telling me "this guy is a good guy you know" as if I should trust unknown guys. So sweet really.

Once again, I was at a loss. So I used Google translate. Of course, these translating robots are annoying, rather like the Pythia of Delphes. But still, I sat there transfixed. Hubby spends hours writing on internet, and more hours reading the French dictionnary, ocasionnally using words that no one uses apart from scholars and poets. The questions were turned in a very poetic way, asking does he look at other faces etc... Once again I realized there is a huge communication gap between us and wondering can I ever understand the Tamil way of thinking, and his. Fortunately I understood one item : "I eat very badly". Food has been a bone of contention between us for a very long time. Not wanting to be caught in a sentimental moment, I told him sternly "yes dear, I told you before you eat very badly". He laughed. Phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment